- Everyone in and around the Lower Middle Class family eyes its member(s) to be the real source of upward social mobility for themselves and yourself.
- Lower middle class (LMC) people like every other stratum see ups and downs economically; they have less to lose as compared to other upper social strata in the worst of their economic conditions. They can handle anything like “Stale Loaf” (Rookhi Roti) or they may not raise their eye brows when it comes to swallowing the lunch and supper with “Minty Sauce” (Chuttni).
- They enjoy good financial times; when they encounter difficult times no psychological trauma hits them ‘cause they are back to previous stage that they have been to. On the other hand a member of upper strata may find himself in a psychological traumatic state, finding it hard to adjust to new circumstances; in few cases you may witness a suicide.
- Education remains their first priority as it is the only hope for their upward-social mobility.
- They need to bank on their abilities because they do not inherit plethora of money in bank accounts, in the shape of land or both.
- Less prone to status quo, always looking for upward social mobility
- LMC people are more likely to stick with norms i.e. they are less eccentric.
- LMC people highly contribute to GDP. Few precedents are China, India, Malaysia and Singapore. All of these fore-mentioned countries have more LMC – Middle Class than any other strata. In other words middle and lower middle class the backbone of the economy.
- LMC and Middle class is also a major contributor to the taxes paid each year, which in turn helps the Govt. to run its regular affairs.
10. Last but not the least; LMC is greater in number when it comes to prayers in Mosque.
P.S: That’s how I see it being the member of LMC. You can share your thoughts in the form of comments below.
Syed Abdul Wahab Gilani
Author is an MS scholar of Management Science.
Member Youth Parliament Pakistan (Sargodha Youth Assembly).